Written By: Brenda Davis
Do you remember when you used to dream about how wonderful it would be to get married? Of course, marriage is wonderful…but not all of the time. There will be times when marriage will seem like hard work, and there may even be times when leaving will look like a nice option. Marriage can have it’s ups and downs and a successful marriage is only possible if both parties are prepared to work at it. Love must be nurtured if they want to keep it from going stale.
Has your marriage gone stale? Have you stopped spending the time that is necessary to cultivate a relationship that is fulfilling? If this is the case – read on. Here are 8 tips that could help make your marriage go from boring to infinitely fascinating.
1. Forgive. Disagreements are only natural in any relationship. Wherever there are two people living in close proximity there are bound to be times when they disagree. Learning to forgive and not hold grudges is vital if they are to prevent bitterness from seeping in and souring things. People make mistakes and do stupid things. We need to be quick to say sorry, and quick to forgive. Married couples must never harbor grudges. Besides, harboring grudges solves nothing.
2. Show respect and honest with one another. Don’t take one another for granted. Learn to say thank you by expressing your appreciation for the things your spouse does for you. Tell the truth. If there is a problem talk about it, don’t bottle it up. Couples who face their problems and talk things through are the ones that are most likely to build strong, loving relationships.
3. Remember to laugh often. The daily grind of life can make everything seem like a chore. A married couple should take time to share jokes and other crazy antics to decrease tension. Remember, laughter is healing.
4. Communicate. It may seem obvious, but good communication is the key to a fulfilling relationship. Don’t let things fester. If the wife is feeling upset by something her husband has said or done she should tell him right away, she shouldn’t assume that he will guess what is wrong. What may be obvious to her, may not be obvious to him! Husbands too need to be more forthcoming in sharing what is on their minds. Good communication is vital.
5. Decide together. It is important that couples make joint decisions on things like finances, children’s education and upbringing, delegation of household chores, etc. One must not be superior over the other. If you can’t reach agreement straight away, leave it for a while and come back to it again later. If there is still a stale mate, be prepared to give in to your spouse. Take turns in giving in to one another. Marriage isn’t a competition
6. Don’t forget the simple, small things. Husbands need to remember to compliment their wives. Don’t forget to praise her for a job well done. Buy her flowers. Take her out for a romantic meal. Tell her how beautiful she is to you. Make her feel like she is your princess. Wives should also be attentive to their husband’s needs. Enjoy each other’s company. Showing affection one for another is essential.
7. Stay in love. Nurture your love for one another. Enjoy every new discovery and every new day with your spouse.
8. Stay intimate. Intimacy is only able to grow in a marriage where there is a strong commitment to one another. Learn to be honest with one another about what turns you on and what turns you off. The sexual side of marriage needn’t wane. Greater knowledge of your spouse and deeper affection should make love making a celebration of your life together. Make time to be intimate.
Being married is not always easy. Especially, in our society where so many marriages fail. But as long as both partners know that they have each other to hold on to, it should be a rewarding relationship. Be there for each other, “for richer or poorer, in sickness and health, and til death do us part”.